Climate Science Olympiad 2022
The global student competition to find solutions to climate change.
Climate Science (CS) is a UK-based global charity. First launched in 2021, the CS Olympiad hosted more than 12,000 participants from 149 countries in its inaugural year. CS Olympiad aims to make learning engaging, accessible and reliable.
Eye on Ivy is honored and pleased to announce that Climate Science is organizing the ClimateScience Olympiad 2022 (CSO22), which is open to Pakistani participants ages 12-25 years regardless of original nationality.
- Free of charge
- Prize for winning teams
- All participants will be awarded a certificate for participation, a notable addition to any college application or resume.
- Participants must seek innovative solutions to problems related to climate change, a process in which they develop skills such as problem-solving, research, analysis, synthesis, and autonomous learning.
- To prepare, students will get access to free preparation material – CS Quiz app and CS courses.
- Students will also get a special invitation to join the Olympiad Discord server and interact with participants globally.
- The CSO22 has three age brackets: under 16s, 17-19, and 20-25 years old. Regardless of age, participants compete in the same qualifiers and answer the same type of problem statements. However, they only compare participants within their age brackets. This means they score the three brackets independently and normalise scores within each. Semi-finalists, finalists, and winners are those with the highest normalised scores. This ensures fair comparison regardless of age.
- Qualifiers: 1 January – 10 August 2022
- Quarter Finals: 1 February – 26 August 2022
- Semi-Finals: 15 March – 10 September 2022
- Finals: 10-15 October 2022
The award ceremony for CSO21 was hosted at the United Nations climate summit, COP26 in Glasgow, with Dr. Jane Goodall as one of the speakers.
- First place wins $5,000
- Second place wins $3,000
- Third place wins $2,000
- Participants ranked 4th through 7th win $1000 each
- 8th through 10th take home $500 each
- Winners will also get a chance to speak at the Award Ceremony
- Register until 10th Aug 2022
- AT HOME / IN SCHOOL- 25 MINS
The qualifier round is a 25-minute online quiz. You can do this online right now, later, or as a student at your school. It works on your computer or smartphone. From February, schools can register their qualifier events to allow all students to participate in sync. Upon verification, schools can also get printable versions of the sheets and conduct exams in paper form.
- Each person can participate up to 3 times plus 1 per person they refer.
- All participants will receive a certificate, and top participants a special honour.
- Prepare with our quiz app available for Androidand iPhone.
Only 10% of participants will advance to the quarter finals and 10% of those to the semi finals, so preparation makes a major difference. You can take their courses or complete their quizzes in the app. Beyond that, read about whatever you are interested in and describe your solutions during the event!
Results for qualifiers and quarter finals are instant via our UI and via email. Semi finals results will arrive close to the finals date. Please do not send us emails asking when results will be announced.
- Quarter Finals
- Jan-Aug 2022
- ONLINE 25 MINS
The best 10% of all qualifier attempts advance to the Quarter Finals. Quarter Finals follow the same quick-question format as Qualifiers.
- Mar-Sep 2022
In the Semi-Final, you choose one of three problem statements to respond to. To help you prepare, you are told the topics 10 days before the event, but the exact problem statement is only revealed at the start of the actual qualifier event.
Then you have 3 hours to research and write essay responses to questions related to the problem statement. ClimateScience will score each team’s solution.
- The Final
- October 2022
- TOP 100 ONLINE
Every finalist will be awarded a Bronze Medal, the top 20 and top 10 will be awarded a Silver and Gold Medal, respectively. The top teams split the prize pool of $15,000 (USD).
In the finals, you’ll write a proposal about a major climate-related issue and be interviewed by our judges. As in 2021, we hope to conduct the winners ceremony at the United Nations’ Climate Summit (COP) and give the top teams the opportunity to present their solutions on a world stage.
For more information: https://climatescience.org/olympiad