Quill and Scroll is an international High School Journalism Honor Society that recognizes and encourages both individual and group achievements in scholastic journalism. Over 14,104 high schools in all 50 U.S. states and 44 countries have established local chapters of the Quill and Scroll. The organization was founded on April 10, 1926, and is based out of the University of Iowa.
Eye on Ivy received the lifetime first non-school charter in 2020. When a candidate is recommended for membership, the student or the school journalism program pays a one-time initiation fee of $25. The Society then provides the initiate with an official membership pin and a lifetime membership certificate.
Members of the Quill and Scroll Honor Society must be chosen from students enrolled in high school who, at the time of their recommendation, meet the following requirements:
- They must be of sophomore, junior or senior classification.
- They must have the equivalent of a B grade average, or be in the upper third of their class in general scholastic standing, either for the year of their election or for the cumulative total of all high school work.
- They must have done superior work in some phase of journalism or school media work. They may be staffers of a magazine, newspaper, yearbook, news organization, online site or radio/television station at the school, or one conducted by an external organization. In Pakistan due to lack of journalism departments in high schools, students can provide three published works in lieu of this requirement.
- They must be recommended by the supervisor or by the committee governing the media. For Pakistan, a recommendation from the English Language or Literature teacher will also be considered.
- They must be approved by the Quill and Scroll Executive Director.
All Quill and Scroll membership materials may only be ordered by journalism advisers, teachers or school principals.
Induction Ceremony 2020
On December 17, 2020, Nawal Haider Butt was awarded membership in an induction ceremony which was presided by Jeff Browne, Executive Director Quill and Scroll, and attended by Iain Keith Riley, Principal TNS Beaconhouse, Shanza Khan Executive Director Eye on Ivy amongst others. Senior journalist Ejaz Haider administered the Quill and Scroll oath to Nawal. Nawal, a 10th grade student of TNS Beaconhouse, was the first Pakistani member of the Quill and Scroll high school journalism honor society to be inducted in whole of South Asia.
Induction Ceremony 2021
This year, six Pakistani students were inducted into the Quill and Scroll Honor Society. The ceremony was organized on 17 December 2021 by Eye on Ivy at their head office located at Upper Mall Lahore.
The ceremony was run by Executive Director Quill and Scroll Society, Jeff Browne and Shanza N. Khan, CEO Eye on Ivy with special guestFahd Husain, a senior journalist. The ceremony consisted of lighting candles to represent the eight guiding principles while the new members read passages describing each one’s meaning to the society. The six inductees received a certificate and pin.