Fatima Burki is a graduate of the University of Sussex in the UK. A former editor at The Daily Times in Lahore and research editor at Imagination Publishing in Chicago, with 20 years of experience in writing and editing, Fatima currently works with students as an editor at Eye on Ivy.
Getting into reputable schools is a labor – of love and perseverance. Students need a lot more in their arsenal of college application than good grades. They need to show skills and experiences that go beyond the classroom. One way to build up your college application profile is through internships as they are a great way to show college admissions officers your enthusiasm for learning.
Eye on Ivy has partnered with a number of organizations to provide students with opportunities for internships. These organizations offer a variety of expertise in many different disciplines. Students can choose whether to intern at an organization that matches their future career path or diversify their portfolio by choosing an organization that builds on other traits such as social work or communication skills.
Most colleges and universities are interested in knowing what values the student will bring with them to the institution. These values are not limited to academic pursuits but should go beyond them.
Social work is one great way to show prospective colleges a diversity of interest. Eye on Ivy has partnered with a number of non-profit and social welfare organizations to offer internships to students. An internship at these organizations demonstrates a commitment to social causes and community engagement.
- Alif Laila Book Bus Society’s main objective is to find innovative solutions to Pakistan’s educational problems.
- Door of Awareness provides free-of-cost education to the children living in the slums of Lahore.
- Beti is working for the social emancipation of women and is perfect for students passionate about equality among genders.
- GoFlour provides vocational training to women, teaching them how to bake and manage their finances, giving them the means to earn a living.
- Hope Uplift Foundation is one of the largest not-for-profit organizations serving its mission of public welfare.
- Kaarvan Crafts Foundation runs multiple programs in Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to create a more just and equitable society, working for the empowerment of women by providing them with the means of sustainable livelihood.
- Medicare Health Foundation is a non-profit organization providing quality healthcare to underprivileged and low-income communities.
- Rizq is another great philanthropic organization that is on a mission to end hunger in Pakistan and focuses on food insecurity.
- Sahara of Life Trust serves people living in the country’s remote regions, providing them with health, education and social services.
- Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital offers many diverse internship opportunities to high school students in the areas of medicine.
- Transparent Hands provides free healthcare services to the underprivileged community of Pakistan.
- Zindagi Trust is on a mission to improve the standard of education in schools. It advocates government officials, bureaucrats and other key decision-makers to change legislation to improve education in the country’s schools.
A research or scientific study based internship showcases a student’s critical thinking and analytical skills.
- The Justice Project Society and the Research Society of International Law are great internship opportunities for law, government and public policy students.
- Bargad is on a mission to promote peace, justice and cooperation among Pakistani youth and has implemented over 100 different youth-led projects. Students get the opportunity to conduct research related to the social sciences and work for Government and donor projects.
- RFT Trainings provides great internship opportunities in content writing, digital marketing and graphic designing.
Internships at corporate offices or startups are a great way to gain insights into the world of business and entrepreneurship. They help students learn problem-solving skills in a professional setting. Eye on Ivy has partnered with many local businesses and startups to provide corporate training opportunities, structured and curated especially for high school students.
- Allied Engineering Corporation is a leading architectural design and development company in Pakistan and provides practical insight into the world of engineering and design.
- College of Tourism and Hotel Management (COTHM) is the only institution of its kind in Pakistan and offers internships in the various aspects of hoteling, culinary arts, and tourism.
- Foster Learning Pakistan promotes entrepreneurship and skill-based training to improve employability and holds special boot camps for students in the summer.
- Eco Energy Global is a tech company accelerating the adoption of solar energy in emerging markets.
- Guzargah – Walled City Tours is a sightseeing tour agency that curates experiences for foreigners and locals around the historical areas of Lahore – a perfect experience for potential history and art majors.
- OLOMOPOLO Media is a cultural and social production hub centered around performing arts and visual media.
- One Earth Toys offers handmade Waldorf toys that are safe for the environment and promotes learning through play.
- RubiTron Labs is a great internship opportunity for students interested in engaging with the latest trends in technology including IOT and AI.
- The Little Art is a great organization providing learning opportunities to children that believes in the collective power of science and art. Along with classes, students can intern and learn first-hand from masters of their craft.
- The Walled City of Lahore Authority is a non-government organization working for the conservation and management of the walled city of Lahore, where students can intern can different departments such as marketing.
Then there are the much sought-after media or publishing internships. These show the universities your writing, creative and communication skills.
- The Daily Times is a leading English-language-based daily newspaper and provides multiple internship opportunities in various departments.
- Newsweek is a premier digital and print news magazine and is a great learning opportunity for interns interested in pursuing media studies.
- Daastan is a publishing company that promotes writers by connecting them with the right opportunities.
Internships in the end are a valuable tool that gives admissions officers an important insight into your abilities and skill set. Choosing the right internship is critical as well. There should be a healthy dose of them in your CV and ideally aligned with your academic passion. Internships need to be tailored to your needs and requirements, both financial and academic. Are you looking for a remote opportunity? Would you like a chance to intern physically in one of the top companies in the UK or the US? Does staying local make the most sense for you?
It can get overwhelming to choose the right combination of internships. That’s where Eye on Ivy counselors can be your most trusted guides. They can offer guidance on what internships would give the most complete and impressive glimpse into your personality based on your CV, interests and chosen major. And our extensive list of partners ensures that there is something for everyone.